RE: [SLE] hal/haldaemon
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:35:35 -0500
On Wednesday, April 19, 2006 @ 7:41 PM, Carlos Robinson wrote:

>The Wednesday 2006-04-19 at 17:10 -0700, Brad Dameron wrote:

>> I have not found any decent documentation on this and from what I can
>> see this daemon is just to detect changes in hardware like when you
>> insert a cd-rom, a floppy, memory card, etc. Am I correct? And disabling
>> this on a server should not cause any issues?

>No, it would. Don't do that.

># Short-Description: HAL is a daemon for managning information about the
hardware on the system
provide a live list of devices present
># in the system at any point in time. HAL tries to
understand both physical devices (such
># as PCI, USB) and the device classes (such as input,
net and block) physical devices have,
># and it allows merging of information from so called
device info files specific to a device.
># HAL provides a network API through D-BUS for querying
devices and notifying when things
># change. Finally, HAL provides some monitoring (in an
unintrusive way) of devices, presently
># ethernet link detection and volume mounts are
monitored. This, and more, is all described
># in the HAL specification
>#
>

>- --
>Cheers,
> Carlos Robinson

Completely OT, but I can't resist. While it may not be a good idea to
disable HAL, it certainly would have been nice if the HAL folks had provided
some sort of front-end graphics module for modifying at least some of the
high-level basics of this animal. As far as I can tell, if you don't want
all of the defaults, get ready to start laying XML code. If this were some
optional add-on app, that would be one thing, but for something that
operates close to the foundation of the OS, it could use a bit more
user-friendliness. The reason for this rant is that I had to modify the HAL
XML code just to prevent HAL from trying to automount my floppy drive every
time I booted. Now I don't know about most people, but I personally don't
use my floppy each time I boot into my system. As a matter of fact, as far
as I can recall, the last time I used it was to make a boot floppy, and that
was a long time ago.

Greg Wallace