Re: [SLE] Convert a Windows XP Prof to Linux
  • From: John Pettigrew <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:30:13 +0100
In a previous message, Ronald Wiplinger <ronald@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> MSN ? Yahoo Messenger ? ICQ ? IRC ?

All replaced by Gaim or Kopete.

> Skype Voip soft phones

Various options - Linphone is one.

> Thunderbird & Firefox (can I move over my emails? bookmarks,
> thawte signature?)

Work identically under linux.

> iTunes ?

As a music player, use Xmms or Amarok. For downloading from the iTunes
website, you'll need to run iTunes under wine. This does work.

> PDAs & phone: Palm m515, HP5555, Nokia 6680 ?

JPilot, Evolution, Kontact etc.

> Canon Scanner, EPSON Photo 830

Xsane and GIMP

> Audacity, Adobe Auditions

Audacity (assuming it's the same program), Rosegarden or Ardour instead of
Auditions.

> Google Earth

Will run under wine, mostly. A linux native version is "planned".

Quite a few of the others I don't recognise so there may well be equivalents.
Perhaps you'd have more luck, if there are some no one suggests alternatives
for, posting what the programs do rather than just their names.

HTH!

John
--
John Pettigrew