Re: [SLE] hal/haldaemon
  • From: Josef Wolf <jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:20:08 +0200
On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:35:35PM -0500, Greg Wallace wrote:

> >> I have not found any decent documentation on this and from what I can
> >> see this daemon is just to detect changes in hardware like when you
> >> insert a cd-rom, a floppy, memory card, etc. Am I correct? And disabling
> >> this on a server should not cause any issues?
>
> >No, it would. Don't do that.

I have disabled it, because it is very annoying, and I could not find any
documentation how to disable the annoying behavior. I have not seen any
breakage from disabling yet.

> Completely OT, but I can't resist. While it may not be a good idea to
> disable HAL, it certainly would have been nice if the HAL folks had provided
> some sort of front-end graphics module for modifying at least some of the
> high-level basics of this animal. As far as I can tell, if you don't want
> all of the defaults, get ready to start laying XML code.

And even for this XML, I could not find documentation.

> If this were some
> optional add-on app, that would be one thing, but for something that
> operates close to the foundation of the OS, it could use a bit more
> user-friendliness. The reason for this rant is that I had to modify the HAL
> XML code just to prevent HAL from trying to automount my floppy drive every
> time I booted.

Oh, automounting a (CD|DVD)-RW that you want to burn, isn't a very good
idea, either :-((

> Now I don't know about most people, but I personally don't
> use my floppy each time I boot into my system. As a matter of fact, as far
> as I can recall, the last time I used it was to make a boot floppy, and that
> was a long time ago.

Oh, and you don't want to _mount_ the floppy if you want to create a
boot-floppy.

I find automounting removable media like dvd/cd/floppy a very error prone
procedure :-((

< Previous Next >