Re: [SLE] rpm -qf saying file doesnot belong to any package ??
  • From: Jon Nelson <jnelson-suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:17:54 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Leendert Meyer wrote:

> On Thursday 20 April 2006 09:27, Digvijoy Chatterjee wrote:
> > Is there a way to find package names using some other rpm switch when
> > -qf doesnot work ? for example
> > linux:~ # rpm -qf /etc/sysconfig/security
> > file /etc/sysconfig/security is not owned by any package
>
> Files in the /etc/sysconfig directory are a special case. Try:
>
> rpm -qf /var/adm/fillup-templates/sysconfig.security

> > I have made changes in the /etc/sysconfig /security file
>
> Didn't you make a backup? ;)
>
> > but nothing shows here  ,how do i know which rpm it belongs to , it came
> > with the install,
>
> It is typical (and confusing) for files that are created /during/
> installation.
>
> > I did not create it.
>
> rpm did.

Technically those files should all be listed as %ghost files - meaning,
they do not exist in the package but the package creates them at some
point (usually during install) and, /if they exist/, the package owns
them, can set their permissions, ownership, and I think even remove them
if the package is removed.

rpm is pretty powerful.

Personally I think it is a bug that, if I install and then remove a
package that creates a file in /etc/sysconfig that I want that file
removed, too. This is something that dpkg (Debian-based systems) have
over rpm in a big way - they support not just 'remove package' but
'remove package and /purge/ any cruft the package may have left around'.

--
Carpe diem - Seize the day.
Carp in denim - There's a fish in my pants!

Jon Nelson <jnelson-suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>