Re: [SLE] rpm -qf saying file doesnot belong to any package ??
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:51:54 +0200
On Thursday 20 April 2006 15:17, Jon Nelson wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Leendert Meyer wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 April 2006 09:27, Digvijoy Chatterjee wrote:
> > > Is there a way to find package names using some other rpm switch when
> > > -qf doesnot work ? for example
> > > linux:~ # rpm -qf /etc/sysconfig/security
> > > file /etc/sysconfig/security is not owned by any package
> >
> > Files in the /etc/sysconfig directory are a special case. Try:
> >
> > rpm -qf /var/adm/fillup-templates/sysconfig.security

> > > I have made changes in the /etc/sysconfig /security file
> >
> > Didn't you make a backup? ;)
> >
> > > but nothing shows here  ,how do i know which rpm it belongs to , it
> > > came with the install,
> >
> > It is typical (and confusing) for files that are created /during/
> > installation.
> >
> > > I did not create it.
> >
> > rpm did.
>
> Technically those files should all be listed as %ghost files - meaning,
> they do not exist in the package but the package creates them at some
> point (usually during install) and, /if they exist/, the package owns
> them, can set their permissions, ownership, and I think even remove them
> if the package is removed.

I would agree with removing such files (e.g. those in /etc/sysconfig), but
only if they were /not/ changed (e.g. by the user). Changed files may contain
data that the user wants to keep.

> rpm is pretty powerful.
>
> Personally I think it is a bug that, if I install and then remove a
> package that creates a file in /etc/sysconfig that I want that file
> removed, too.

rpm cannot read minds - I'm still waiting for that... :o)

> This is something that dpkg (Debian-based systems) have
> over rpm in a big way - they support not just 'remove package' but
> 'remove package and /purge/ any cruft the package may have left around'.

This is interesting. Is there a possibility to view what extra files would be
removed after purging?

Cheers,

Leen

< Previous Next >