XEN / Win XP / VT status?
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:12:24 -0400
All,

I'm very intriqued with the new Xen / Win XP guest OS functionality
that should be available soon, or maybe already is.

Does anyone know a url / wiki / blog that has uptodate info?

What I know:

To get Xen to work with a vanilla Win XP as guest OS you need support
in your host OS, Xen, your CPU, and your motherboard/bios.

Xen 3.0 is supposed to have the basics for the support, but I'm not
positive it has actually been tested with all of the above.

See http://www.planetx64.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=49

Intel has released at least one CPU that supports the VT. ie. the new
features required to support the above.

See http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentiumXE/index.htm

My concern is this footnote:

Φ Intel(r) Virtualization Technology and Intel(r) Extended Memory 64
Technology (Intel(r) EM64T) require a computer system with a
processor, chipset, BIOS, enabling software and/or operating system,
device drivers and applications designed for these features.
Performance will vary depending on your configuration. Contact your
vendor for more information.

So, as expected, a MB (or computer) with VT support is also required.

Thanks
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer