Re: [SLE] SuSe and issues with their kernel's.
  • From: Brad Dameron <brad@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:21:07 -0700
On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 10:37 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
> Brad Dameron wrote:
>
> > I have copied this to both lists due to my disgust with SuSe's kernel
> > modifications from the vanilla kernel and additional modules not
> > compiling right off of them.
> >
> > Anyone compiling a vanilla kernel under SuSe 10?
>
> Yep, and I have no problems doing so.
>
> > First here is my hardware configuration:
> >
> > Appro XtremeServer with 4 - 880 CPU's, 64GB Ram, 2 - 36GB 15k SCSI
> > drives This server uses the NVidia nForce4 Pro 2200/2050 chipset
>
> What is an "880" CPU ? (just being curious)

880 is Opteron dual core 2.4Ghz.

> > I untar my kernel. Enter the directory, do a "zcat /proc/config.gz
> >> .config" Then I do a "make menuconfig".
>
> You might want to do a "make oldconfig" before "make menuconfig".
>
> > Look through the settings not changing
> > anything. Do my make, make modules_install, make install. Everthing
> > looks good.
>
> You don't rebuild your initrd?? "mk_initrd"?

The make install actually does a mkinitrd for you.

> > Do a reboot, it starts the boot, gets to my 79xx SCSI
> > driver, sees the first few drives, then starts dumping kernel error
> > messages and finally freezes up.
>
> Check your /etc/sysconfig/kernel and see what it puts in the initrd.
> Unless you build the kernel with all boot-time modules built in, you
> will need to rebuild the initrd.
>
> > OpenSuse 10.1RC1 kernel which is 2.6.16-20 installed that. Everything
> > booted fine. So I copied it's .config into the vanilla kernel
> > directory, did my make routine, reboot and same issue.
>
> And same reason.
>
> > Why do I need a vanilla kernel you ask? Well because there are a lot
> > of applications that do not seem to compile when pointed to the SuSe
> > kernel source tree. One being RedHat GFS which we are going to start
> > using. There are other applications as well.
>
> Have you got some more examples?
>
> > And I am a bit upset that
> > they change their kernel so much that some of these applications will
> > not compile on their kernel.
>
> AFAIK, SUSE is working towards a mostly-vanilla kernel, and have already
> reduced the number of extra patches considerably.

What is interesting is several apps we run don't like to compile against
SuSe's kernel. However work perfectly against the vanilla one.

> > Or if anyone is using GFS on SuSe let me know what you did.
>
> I have only looked at it so far, but I find it very difficult to accept
> that SUSEs kernel modifications would prevent GFS from building.

Actually they do. I tried many version's of GFS against several
different SuSe kernel's. No go. They would error out in different
locations each time.

I finally got this working this morning. I compiled everything into the
kernel so there are no modules and that seems to have worked for me. I
would of preferred to use modules so I could start building my own
kernel for my servers. But I won't be picky.

Thanks for the comment.

Brad Dameron
SeaTab Software
www.seatab.com