Re: [SLE] SuSe and issues with their kernel's.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:50:02 +0200
Brad Dameron wrote:

>> You don't rebuild your initrd?? "mk_initrd"?
>>
> The make install actually does a mkinitrd for you.

Really? OK, I didn't know that. If your initrd is up-to-date, I cannot
explain why you are having problems. I've sofar always rebuilt my
initrd separately.

>> AFAIK, SUSE is working towards a mostly-vanilla kernel, and have
>> already reduced the number of extra patches considerably.
>
> What is interesting is several apps we run don't like to compile
> against SuSe's kernel. However work perfectly against the vanilla one.

Are these just applications or actually kernel extensions, such as GFS?
For the latter, SUSEs extra "-Werror-implicit-function-declaration"
could be causing a problem. And in this case, cluster-1.02.00 most
certainly does not compile perfectly against the 2.6.16.9 vanilla
kernel.

>>> Or if anyone is using GFS on SuSe let me know what you did.
>>
>> I have only looked at it so far, but I find it very difficult to
>> accept that SUSEs kernel modifications would prevent GFS from
>> building.
>
> Actually they do. I tried many version's of GFS against several
> different SuSe kernel's. No go. They would error out in different
> locations each time.

Apart from the already mentioned
"-Werror-implicit-function-declaration", _nothing_ in the SUSE
2.6.16-20 kernel prevented cluster-1.02.00 from building. But please
do prove me wrong. Why haven't you reported this to SUSE/Novell?

> But I won't be picky. Thanks for the comment.

One final comment then - to me, you were a little to quick in dishing
out the blame here. You don't seem to have spent much time
debugging/diagnosing the problem, yet you feel able to get up on your
soapbox and point the finger. Maybe I'm a little sensitive, but it's
not the really the right approach IMHO.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich