Re: [SLE] Remote Administration behind a router
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:23:54 +0200
On Thursday 20 April 2006 22:14, Arun Mallikarjunan wrote:
> Hi,
> This is not just SUSE related but a generic networking question.
> My desktop is behing a solaris machine acting as a router. I have
> remote administration enabled on my SUSE 10 and i was able to test it
> from another PC in my office.
> I want to set up remote access from outside, So I created a tunnel
> to my router using "ssh -L 5801:127.0.0.1:5801
> <userid>@<myroutersexternalIP> and then after I logged in to this
> machine I did another tunnel to my desktop using "ssh -L
> 5801:127.0.0.1:5801 <userid>@<mydesktop>".
> Having done this I started up remote desktop connection and did a
> 127.0.0.1:1 and it doesnt connect! Have I done anything wrong here?

You don't mention it, but I'm assuming the first command is run on an external
machine

First of all, be careful. I hope you have port 5801 blocked on your router for
external connections. Your second ssh will open it otherwise

Secondly, why not do it all in one fell swoop

ssh -L 5801:<yourdesktop>:5801 user@externalrouterip

should be sufficient.

Thirdly, I haven't used solaris in ages, but when I did there were subtle
differences between commands on it and on linux. Are you sure ssh on solaris
works like it does on linux? Have you checked the logs on that router?