[Fwd: Re: [SLE] Remote Administration behind a router]
  • From: Arun Mallikarjunan <arun@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:22:42 -0400

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Arun Mallikarjunan <arun@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:11:05 -0400

Hi Anders,
Thanks for helping out. I tried the command
ssh -L 5801:<yourdesktop>:5801 user@externalrouterip but it doesnt
seem to create a tunnel to my desktop behind the router from the
external machine? any ideas?

You don't mention it, but I'm assuming the first command is run on an
external
machine

Yes thats correct. that was from an external machine

Thanks,
Arun
Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Thursday 20 April 2006 22:14, Arun Mallikarjunan wrote:
>> Hi, This is not just SUSE related but a generic networking
>> question. My desktop is behing a solaris machine acting as a
>> router. I have remote administration enabled on my SUSE 10 and i
>> was able to test it from another PC in my office. I want to set
>> up remote access from outside, So I created a tunnel to my router
>> using "ssh -L 5801:127.0.0.1:5801 <userid>@<myroutersexternalIP>
>> and then after I logged in to this machine I did another tunnel
>> to my desktop using "ssh -L 5801:127.0.0.1:5801
>> <userid>@<mydesktop>". Having done this I started up remote
>> desktop connection and did a 127.0.0.1:1 and it doesnt connect!
>> Have I done anything wrong here?
>
> You don't mention it, but I'm assuming the first command is run on
> an external machine
>
> First of all, be careful. I hope you have port 5801 blocked on your
> router for external connections. Your second ssh will open it
> otherwise
>
> Secondly, why not do it all in one fell swoop
>
> ssh -L 5801:<yourdesktop>:5801 user@externalrouterip
>
> should be sufficient.
>
> Thirdly, I haven't used solaris in ages, but when I did there were
> subtle differences between commands on it and on linux. Are you
> sure ssh on solaris works like it does on linux? Have you checked
> the logs on that router?

--- End Message ---
  • No further messages