Re: [SLE] Two monitors
  • From: David Wright <david.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:11:07 +0200
Am Freitag, 21. April 2006 08:56 schrieb michael norman:
> Running SUSE 10.0 with a geforce 6600 video card which has the facility to
> run two moniters and I'd like to try that with Xinerma. But I can't find
> the options in Sax to set it up. Can you point me in the right direction
> please ?
>
> Mike

First of all, have you installed the official nVidia drivers? The OSS versions
don't support multi-head operation. Just use YOU and select the nVidia
drivers.

Next, open YaST or Sax from the KDE/Gnome menu and (from YaST select
hardware->graphic card and monitor).

If you have a second monitor plugged in, you should see a second monitor tab
appear to control its settings.

By default the monitors will mirror each other. I think they also need to both
be connected at boot for the second one to be recognised the first time, not
sure if the sax routines will pick it up if it is connected later (I know I
had problems under 8.n and 9.n when trying that).

Then further down the tab there should be a button for multi-monitor usage,
you just need to select Xinerama mode.

ATi's driver installer cause Sax to barf on this machine, so I can't currently
double check the exact layout, but googling for SUSE and Xinerama should
bring up some decent howto's, that's how I learnt how I trouble shooted it
the first time.

--
"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing