Re: [SLE] Two monitors
  • From: michael norman <michaeltnorman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 08:40:15 +0100

> First of all, have you installed the official nVidia drivers? The OSS
> versions don't support multi-head operation. Just use YOU and select the
> nVidia drivers.

Yes I have, from YOU, but I'll try an update.

> Next, open YaST or Sax from the KDE/Gnome menu and (from YaST select
> hardware->graphic card and monitor).
>
> If you have a second monitor plugged in, you should see a second monitor
> tab appear to control its settings.

That's the trouble, I have no second monitor tab. When SUSE boots it shows
the boot up sequence on the second monitor but it goes blank when the system
is up. Knoppix however gives me two identical screens, so I deduce it's not
a hardware problem

> By default the monitors will mirror each other. I think they also need to
> both be connected at boot for the second one to be recognised the first
> time, not sure if the sax routines will pick it up if it is connected later
> (I know I had problems under 8.n and 9.n when trying that).

I have booted with the second monitor connected, in fact I did that after it
was connected and ran SAX from init 3 to try and set it up. I got aa very
blurred image on the second monitor.
> Then further down the tab there should be a button for multi-monitor usage,
> you just need to select Xinerama mode.

As above there is no such button.

> ATi's driver installer cause Sax to barf on this machine, so I can't
> currently double check the exact layout, but googling for SUSE and Xinerama
> should bring up some decent howto's, that's how I learnt how I trouble
> shooted it the first time.

I tried googling for that but as yet can't find anything. I'll try again

< Previous Next >