Mapping Special Keys in KDE
  • From: David Wright <david.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:27:27 +0200
How do I map the special keys on my keyboard?

I have checked using xev to see which codes they return, but when I open the
Control Centre/Personal Settings on the KDE menu and go to the short-cuts
section, pressing the keys doesn't produce any output.

Also some of the keys don't provide any output.

For example:
Search = 122
Email=236
Back= 234
Forward=233
Mute=160
Vol - = 174
Vol + = 176
Play = 162
Calc=161

Favourites, keys 1 through 5 (not numeric, "special" keys), the "Zoom" control
and the = and brackets above the numeric keypad don't return any keycode.

I use two main types of keyboard, a Natural (either Internet/Media variant or
a new 4000 with the zoom scroll key), or a Cherry CyMotion Master Solar,
which has another 10 special keys which don't do anything.

Selecting the correct keyboard in the control centre doesn't make any
difference to the special keys that are recognised.

Some of them do actually work, the volume and play/pause key seem to be
automatically recognised by Amarok for example...

Dave
--
"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing