noauto setting not working in fstab entry for vfat partition
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 02:28:42 -0400
Hi All,

This question concerns SUSE 10.0 on a plain vanilla i686 box running standard
IDE hard drives. Following are the relevant entries in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdb12 /mnt/hdb-bak reiserfs noauto,acl,user_xattr 1 2

/dev/hdc1 /mnt/hdc-bak vfat
noauto,users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0

(Note the 'noauto' declaration in each entry.)

Upon booting, hdb12 has not been mounted automatically, which is the desired
behavior. However, hdc1 *is* mounting automatically.

In a feeble attempt to discern the problem (I maintain fstab in a text editor)
I launched the YaST2 Partitioner module to review/edit the hdc1 entry and
confirmed the "Do Not Mount at System Startup" box was checked in the 'fstab
options' section. I've scanned the relevant docs and I'm probably missing
something, I know, but I'd sure appreciate an explanation or a cure.

TIA & regards,

Carl