Re: [SLE] SUSE10 -- wireless "profiles"?
  • From: Glenn Holmer <gholmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 06:47:37 -0500
On Friday 21 April 2006 08:44, Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 09:19 -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > With SCPM profiles set up, it is simple to bring up my system in
> > the different network environments. The wireless environments
> > should also have the wired interface (eth0) turned off otherwise
> > the routing loses its default route.

Set it to bring up the interface only when the cable is plugged in. Use
kinternet to switch the wireless interface on and off with a single
click.

> > The only problem I have had with SuSE 10 and SCPM is that the
> > profile boot parameter does not appear to work, but I have not
> > checked it closely enough to see if I have everything kosher.

No problem here with 10.0 or 10.1, hit the F-key at GRUB screen and
select profile.

> And with NetworkManager all you do is click on an icon in the system
> tray and select a different network, bada boom, bada bing, done. No
> logging out, no reboot involved.

If you're running KDE, there's a "tray applet" called profile_chooser
that will allow you to switch SCPM profiles while the system's running.

All this works great for me, I use SCPM every day going between work and
home. Even my printer configurations change nicely.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
"I love virtuosity. I love danger." -Pierre Boulez, 2005

< Previous Next >