Re: [SLE] System "upgrade"..?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:09:19 +0200
On Friday 21 April 2006 10:27, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> Would it all be possible to make a "system upgrade" from a SLES9 system
> to a SuSE Pro 10.0?
> What are the big pitfalls, if any? Will the system continue to run as
> configured on the original SLES9?

Caveat: I've never tried it, so this is purely from a general knowledge of how
a suse system is set up.

In theory it's possible. From an abstract point of view, a SLES9 system is a
9.1 Professional.

One problem comes in the system configuration files. SLES9 is tagged as a
different product. Which means you may run into problems with for example the
ProdDB files.

You're also moving from a system that didn't use udev, to one that does. I'm
not convinced that the installer will do the right thing

It's also not a supported operation, in two senses of the word: in the first
sense, YaST has not been written to handle such a big jump, so it might not
handle everything correctly. In the second sense, the upgrade path is not
covered by any sort of support from Novell/SUSE, both because the leap from
9.1 (SLES) to 10.0 isn't supported in itself, and because the 10.0 product is
only covered by basic installation support

If you do it, I'm sure you can get it to work, but don't expect it to be
flawless