Re: [SLE] Compiling SuSE
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp-lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:12:53 +0200
On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 09:00 -0400, Hugo Garcia wrote:
> This is just a weekend project. I am slowly building a new machine
> from parts and I would like to know if when the time comes... is it
> possible to compile all SuSE from scratch on my new box?

I have tried this with SUSE 9.0. I don't know if much has changed since
then, but the problem I kept running into was that a lot of tools used
in the spec files are not included in SUSE - maybe they are in the SDK,
I don't know.

What kind of machine are you building? Chances are the (slight)
performance increase you *might* see in certain apps will probably not
be worth the time you spent rebuilding everything.

Hans