Re: [SLE] nic 100 full duplex
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:23:29 -0400
On Sunday 23 April 2006 11:51, it clown wrote:
> I have downloaded the driver for the 3c980c-txm nic. When i
> want to install the driver i get the following:
>
> Attempting to install the 2.6.11.4-20a-default version of
> the 3c90x
> driver module.
> You are running the 2.6.11.4-20a-default version of kernel
> release...
> The 3c90x driver module was not built for this kernel
> release.
> You will need to compile the driver yourself.
> Installation of 3c90x driver module failed.
>
> How do i compile the driver?
>
> Thanks
> Regards

Hi IC,

(Can you please not top-post? Thanks!) I didn't point you to the 3Com site to
imply that you needed to compile your own module/driver! I pointed you there
to make sure you had all the OEM documentation, including the Linux bits,
needed to understand how that card works, what chips it uses, what... if
any... special setup needs it has and which unique commands or parameters it
accepts. If the driver that is already installed and working just doesn't
work in full duplex mode, I'd be looking at fine-tuning the current
configuration, first, before going too much deeper.

Another very helpful avenue I'd suggest you try is to Google the 3com model
number with (no quotes) "Linux" and "full duplex".

regards,

Carl

< Previous Next >