Re: [SLE] Fwd: [Mw] Search engines
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:36:02 +0100
On 23/04/06, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Carl Hartung wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 23 April 2006 07:09, Per Jessen wrote:
> >> It's not really clear what KK6MKs problem is.
> >
> > Hi Per,
> >
> > Presumably, he's had that radio call sign (ham license) for a very
> > long time. When he 'Googles' it, the 'hits' are "rife with ancient and
> > long dead listings."
>
> Yeah - but what is "an ancient and long dead listing"? I see 99 and
> 2002 results on google, and 98 and 99 results on altavista.
>

> /Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

I seem to recall reading that Google bases it's hit strategy on the
number of page visits a particular site has had. So, if the older
mentions of this chaps call sign have been hit more often then that
will rise to the top of the current Google search. It's obviously
more complex than that but that is a rough idea of how it does it.
Xmas may be over but, PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay