Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Sales?
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:58:08 -0700
On Sunday 23 April 2006 06:00 pm, Bryan S. Tyson wrote:
> On Sunday 23 April 2006 06:39 pm, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> > As an aside, when did libDVDcss become legal in the United States?
>
> It's obviously legal under the right circumstances since all living-room
> DVD players and Windows-based software players like Power DVD can play
> encrypted DVDs!
>
> If I can go out and buy PowerDVD to watch movies on my Windows computer,
> and that's legal, isn't it about time there was legal software to play
> movies on my Linux computer? How many years has it been, yet if we WANT to
> be legal, what software can we buy?

As I think I've mentioned in the past, Linspire does have a Linux DVD Player
available for purchase.

http://www.linspire.com/dvdplayer

If they can do it - and have been for some time - then I'm not sure why a
higher-quality distro like SuSE/SUSE has been throwing up the
"we-aren't-allowed" mantra for the past few years.

It is funny, if you look on the Lindows website, "the Linspire DVD player
includes a commercial license for the DVD playback decoding so you don't have
to find, buy and install this on your own (this can be expensive and a
tricky, complicated process)." That should read, "unless you buy our DVD
player and/or live in Norway or Sweden you're SOL if you want to play DVD's
on your computer."

> Till this absurd situation changes, I don't apologize for downloading
> libdvdcss.

Ooooohhhhh....you're gonna get it.....

http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/suse/desk_dvd_lg.jpg

...hmm. I wonder how that got on there. Odd.
--
kai - www.perfectreign.com
www.livebeans.com - the new NetBeans community

43...for those who require slightly more than
the answer to life, the universe and everything.

< Previous Next >