Re: [SLE] xen versu vmware
  • From: Stephen Boddy <stephen.boddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 02:54:45 +0100
On Tuesday 25 April 2006 01:40, Joachim Schrod wrote:
> Stephen Boddy wrote:
> > If I'm limited to OSS in
> > my guests, then why not just run it on my host? There are cases where it
> > is useful, i.e. testing environments etc, but it very much depends on
> > your usage.
>
> E.g., to provide security environments. E.g., one Xen host can be a Web
> server on a firewall, thus implementing a virtual DMZ. This is very
> interesting for SOHO and private home installations that don't want to
> establish real DMZs with real machines.

Yes it's an interesting concept. I was thinking of something very similar
using vmware in pre-Xen days. But the problem is securing Xen whilst giving
access to the toys we all want in our desktop user experience. See:
<http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_virtualization/xen_3.0_user_guide/linux_virualization_xen_user_51.html>
If you follow that advice, then the fun toys (i.e. xgl and HD playback) won't
be available due to the management domain having control of the Gfx card, and
your user system would be in a guest domain running over vnc or NX.
--
Steve Boddy