Re: [SLE] mail sending and Postfix was OT: Posting from another unsubscribed address for a subscriber?
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:26:29 +0200
Greg Wallace wrote:
On Sunday, April 23, 2006 @ 5:40, Carlos Robinson wrote:
The Thursday 2006-04-20 at 13:08 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

<very BIG snip>

Hylton:
The key here is that it's the SMTP server that you use that imposes the
restriction. You can use any SMTP server that you have subscribed to
without having any problem with your ISP. I am using a 3rd party Mail
product and am not using my ISP's SMTP server. This should always be
allowed. Now if I were to log into a different ISP and try to use my ISP's
SMTP server, they might reject my mail. It depends on the policy of that
ISP. I used to live in Alaska and had 2 ISP's at one point. One of them
let me use it's SMTP server from the other, but not vice versa. I. e., one
of the ISP's had a more restrictive policy. Maybe you understood this
already, but I got the feeling maybe you didn't.

Tnx Greg,

I hadn't before realized that ISP's can place restrictions on the SMTP
servers as I figured it just transported the mail between nodes.

I now know that this is not so and that my own ISP is a restrictive one.

As I said to Carlos earlier, time to change ISP's