Re: [SLE] xen versu vmware
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:26:48 +0200
Stephen Boddy wrote:
On Tuesday 25 April 2006 01:40, Joachim Schrod wrote:
Stephen Boddy wrote:
> If I'm limited to OSS in
> my guests, then why not just run it on my host? There are cases where it
> is useful, i.e. testing environments etc, but it very much depends on
> your usage.

E.g., to provide security environments. E.g., one Xen host can be a Web
server on a firewall, thus implementing a virtual DMZ. This is very
interesting for SOHO and private home installations that don't want to
establish real DMZs with real machines.

Yes it's an interesting concept. I was thinking of something very similar using vmware in pre-Xen days. But the problem is securing Xen whilst giving access to the toys we all want in our desktop user experience.

You're right; that's why I proposed to use Xen for servers. :-)

It is quite clear that Xen is not a replacement for VMware. For example, I have roughly 20-30 VMware instances on my personal system (various customer environments, test installations of other operating systems, development/compile environments, test environments, etc.) But I have only two or three Xen servers; and none of them for interactive usage. Nevertheless, they are much more lightweight than VMware is.

Joachim

Joachim Schrod Email: jschrod@xxxxxxx
Roedermark, Germany