Re: [SLE] Oracle bid for Novell will put a rocket under Suse Linux
  • From: jonlists@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:35:00 -0500
regardless of whether you can get to or not, the analysis is flawed....

It's common thought that if you only marketed something better that
everyone would buy into it. If this were true, Microsoft would have owned
the handheld market years ago, instead of Palm and/or Blackberry (now), or
even Apple, dependent upon the type of handheld you're talking about.
After all these years, marketing giant Microsoft doesn't own much of that
market because they keep making crappy products, not something that people
want to buy. You can't just market everything and be successful.

An "Oracle driven linux project would change the world of desktop
computing forever". Why? Oracle does nothing with desktops.
Maybe 50 companies run their collaboration product. Most of those who use
their calendaring solution are people who own Oracle and have had the
calendaring product given to them (it's really hard to turn down "free").

His comment that the "biggest inhibitor to linux up-take right now.... is
lack of third party vendor support", is also off-base. I can run an
enterprise version of linux on every IBM, Dell, or HP/Compaq server I know
of. Perhaps on the desktop??? Maybe, but doubtful. The biggest inhibitor
to linux up-take is the lack of expertise in the field. Go outside and
throw a stick and there's a chance you'll hit a Microsoft Partner. Go
outside and throw a stick and you might hit someone who's compiled their
own linux, which isn't the same as being able to install it in a company,
support it, and make sure it works as well as a Microsoft environment.
Like I said before, the "Oracle will buy Novell" rumor comes up every five
years. If it happens, then we can all get excited. Before then, it's just
a lot of blather.

Jon Johnston
Creative Business Solutions
IBM, Microsoft, Novell/Suse and Sophos Consulting
952-544-1108
http://www.cbsol.com
Blog:http://bingo.cbsol.com