Re: [SLE] nfs nlockmgr
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:10:28 -0400
On Wednesday 26 April 2006 11:49, Lorenzo Cerini wrote:
> Carl Hartung wrote:
> >>
> >>program vers proto port
> >> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> >> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> >> 100005 1 udp 894 mountd
> >> 100005 2 udp 894 mountd
> >> 100005 1 tcp 895 mountd
> >> 100005 2 tcp 895 mountd
> >> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> >> 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs

> >>program vers proto port
> >> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> >> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper

> >>programma vers proto porta
> >> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> >> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> >
> >Hi Lorenzo,
> >
> >I'm still rummaging through things here but thought I'd share this excerpt
> >from http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/nisnfs.html:
> >
> >NFS:
> >
> >Linux has kernel-based nfsds (knfsd) and userspace nfsds. The kernel-based
> >ones are greatly preferable as to performance and general quality.
> >
> >Sample "rpcinfo -p localhost" output when running the kernel-based nfsd:
> >
> ># rpcinfo -p localhost
> > program vers proto port
> > 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> > 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> > 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> > 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> > 100021 1 udp 33133 nlockmgr
> > 100021 3 udp 33133 nlockmgr
> > 100021 4 udp 33133 nlockmgr
> > 100005 1 udp 922 mountd
> > 100005 1 tcp 925 mountd
> > 100005 2 udp 922 mountd
> > 100005 2 tcp 925 mountd
> > 100005 3 udp 922 mountd
> > 100005 3 tcp 925 mountd
> >
> >Note the support for NFSv3 mountd operations in the "vers" column — by
> > which you can spot use of the kernel nfsd.
> >
> >For contrast, here's "rpcinfo -p localhost" output when running the
> > (inferior) user-space nfsd:
> >
> ># rpcinfo -p
> > program vers proto port
> > 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> > 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> > 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> > 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> > 100005 1 udp 758 mountd
> > 100005 2 udp 758 mountd
> > 100005 1 tcp 761 mountd
> > 100005 2 tcp 761 mountd
> >
> >Solving some NFS problems can be as simple as detecting and fixing a
> > server machine's use of the wrong nfsd.
> >
> >Doesn't the second one look just like your's?
> >
> >Carl
>
> Thanks, nice.
> I've checked, i didn't have nfs modules in lsmod.
> Now the question is, since i use nsutils i should have the kernel nfs,
> how can i have that working??
> L.

I didn't realize we'd slipped off-list, Lorenzo... I normally don't do that
since the intention is for other subscribers to benefit from these
discussions, too.

Since the package 'nfs-server' provides a user-space nfsd and the package
'nfs-utils' provides the kernel-based nfsd, I'd say you've probably got
nfs-server installed instead of nfs-utils. (nfs-utils conflicts with
nfs-server, so you'll normally only have one or the other but not both
installed.)

do an 'rpm -qa | grep nfs' to confirm

BTW, did you configure these systems manually or with YaST?

Carl