Re: [SLE] nfs nlockmgr
  • From: Lorenzo Cerini <lorenzo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:18:36 +0200
Lorenzo Cerini wrote:

Carl Hartung wrote:

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 11:49, Lorenzo Cerini wrote:

Carl Hartung wrote:

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 10:16, Lorenzo Cerini wrote:

nfsserver:/home/root # rpcinfo -p

program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100005 1 udp 894 mountd
100005 2 udp 894 mountd
100005 1 tcp 895 mountd
100005 2 tcp 895 mountd
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs

nfsserver:/home/root # rpcinfo -p nfsclient

program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper

nfsclient:/root # rpcinfo -p

programma vers proto porta
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper

Hi Lorenzo,

I'm still rummaging through things here but thought I'd share this excerpt
from http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/nisnfs.html:

NFS:

Linux has kernel-based nfsds (knfsd) and userspace nfsds. The kernel-based
ones are greatly preferable as to performance and general quality.

Sample "rpcinfo -p localhost" output when running the kernel-based nfsd:

# rpcinfo -p localhost
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100021 1 udp 33133 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 33133 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 33133 nlockmgr
100005 1 udp 922 mountd
100005 1 tcp 925 mountd
100005 2 udp 922 mountd
100005 2 tcp 925 mountd
100005 3 udp 922 mountd
100005 3 tcp 925 mountd

Note the support for NFSv3 mountd operations in the "vers" column — by
which you can spot use of the kernel nfsd.

For contrast, here's "rpcinfo -p localhost" output when running the
(inferior) user-space nfsd:

# rpcinfo -p
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100005 1 udp 758 mountd
100005 2 udp 758 mountd
100005 1 tcp 761 mountd
100005 2 tcp 761 mountd

Solving some NFS problems can be as simple as detecting and fixing a
server machine's use of the wrong nfsd.

Doesn't the second one look just like your's?

Carl

Thanks, nice.
I've checked, i didn't have nfs modules in lsmod.
Now the question is, since i use nsutils i should have the kernel nfs,
how can i have that working??
L.

I didn't realize we'd slipped off-list, Lorenzo... I normally don't do that since the intention is for other subscribers to benefit from these discussions, too.

Since the package 'nfs-server' provides a user-space nfsd and the package 'nfs-utils' provides the kernel-based nfsd, I'd say you've probably got nfs-server installed instead of nfs-utils. (nfs-utils conflicts with nfs-server, so you'll normally only have one or the other but not both installed.)

do an 'rpm -qa | grep nfs' to confirm

BTW, did you configure these systems manually or with YaST?

Carl

Nevermind, i re-posted to the list.
I installed nfs-utils, since i wanted the kernel based one.
I configured via yast, then i checked manually /etc/exports.

But, i have something else to say. Maybe Nfs is not correctly installed.
I mean: on another suse 9.2 nfsserver i have kernel based nfs end so i
thought to have on my suse 10 nfsserver.
But on my suse 9.2:

lsmod |grep fs
nfsd 106824 0
exportfs 5632 1 nfsd
smbfs 61304 4
subfs 7552 1
reiserfs 242000 3

and on my suse 10 (where nfsserver doesn't work)

lsmod |grep fs
hfsplus 102408 0
subfs 26752 1
reiserfs 286960 4

Now i will retry the installation.
tia
L.Cerini

Done, i re-installed.
But, i had trouble uninstalling nfs-utils, and the rcnfsserver script was not working anymore.
I took the script from suse 9.2 and everything has gone fine so far.
Thanks,

Now i have a ldap users, correctly exported to samba and win-domains and to linux with nfs file sharing.
My next trouble is ldap-automount.

L.