Option 3G card in SUSE 10.0
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:47:10 +0200

I have an Option 3G PCMCIA card. When I plug it into my laptop, I see this
activity:

hub 7-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 7-0:1.0: 1 port detected
usb 7-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
option: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Option 3G
data card
option 7-1:1.0: Option 3G data card converter detected
usb 7-1: Option 3G data card converter now attached to ttyUSB0
option 7-1:1.1: Option 3G data card converter detected
usb 7-1: Option 3G data card converter now attached to ttyUSB1
option 7-1:1.2: Option 3G data card converter detected
usb 7-1: Option 3G data card converter now attached to ttyUSB2
usbcore: registered new driver option
drivers/usb/serial/option.c: Option Card (PC-Card to) USB to Serial Driver:
v0.4

After this, I can access an AT modem on /dev/ttyUSB0. I check this with a
terminal program and the card responds as expected. I type 'AT' and the card
responds with 'OK'. I'm a bit confused about why the PCMCIA card shows up as
a USB device. But drivers will be drivers...

Odd but true: I have only used ethernet with Linux. I use serial ports for
other things. But not for networking. I expected to see something in YasT
telling that this hardware is available for configuring. I don't see
anything. Should I? Section 38.5 of the Linux OnLine Docs implies that the
hotplug system should be working for PCMCIA and USB network devices.

I want to use this card to connect to the internet. It is a GPRS card, which
should provide me with portable access.

--
Roger Oberholtzer
OPQ Systems AB