Re: [SLE] df and du reporting incorrect file sizes
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:58:15 -0400
On Thursday 27 April 2006 1:12 pm, James Watkins wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Jerry, but I'm not sure that the byte/block
> confusion is the source of my problem.  I've noticed that this is the
> only directory on the filesystem for which the total is incorrect and
> also that the 'real total' (calulated by hand, admittedly with some
> degree of inaccuracy) appears to be greater than the capacity of the
> volume as reported by df.  I was wondering if the 27GB files are acually
> smaller and ls is reporting their size incorrectly. I have attached the
> output of 'ls -lhR' together with the output of 'df -h' (the filesystem
> in question is the last in the list).
This is possible. You could use the stat(1) command that reports both the
file size and the number of blocks the file occupies. I can see many cases
where the size of a file in bytes will be small where the number of blocks
can be large. Additionally, could that directory contain some hidden files.
ls -lhR will not report them. It is also possible that there is some file
system corruption. The "reiserfsck --check" command should be able report
if the file system is corrupted.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group