Re: [SLE] Is SUSE the market-place chicken or the egg?
  • From: "Mark H. Harris" <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:29:57 -0500
On Thursday 27 April 2006 15:02, Kai Ponte wrote:

> Hopefully I'll be getting SUSE in here at my new office, too. I just
> have to convince upper management that my 98,000 co-workers need to
> upgrade from Windows.

The trick is proving to the corporate world that it saves *them* money to be
platform independent--allow the employees to choose the platform that works
for them.

The platform should be the employee's responsibility: The employee comes to
work with a functioning lap-top (their choice, their load) complete with
desk-top of choice, an e-mail client, word-processor [office suit], and Wifi
card... the employer maybe maintains databases, infrustructure, firewall,
etc, but the employee maintains their own workstation--just like they
maintain their own automobile, wardrobe, and lifestyle.

Platform independence saves money and allows the best technology to rise to
the top without being stomped by a really bad M$ momentum. Companies do not
need to be in the PC hardware/software cycle, neither do they need to be
dominated by '80s-'90s M$ strategies.

All of my machines are running SUSE-- 9.2 9.3 and 10.0 ... and they run great!

(When I worked at IBM [25 years] I used Windblows to run Lotu$ Note$ and Linux
for everything else... Redhat at the time, until I learned how to run Lotu$
Note$ in Wine... then I used Linux for everything. Today I use SUSE Linux for
everything computer related [except for IBM, I fired them a couple of years
ago because they wouldn't give up Lotu$ Note$] and I'm not moving back to
Windoze---ever)

Simply Change.

--
Kind regards,