Re: [SLE] long boot-up times
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:26:39 -0400
On Thursday 27 April 2006 23:14, Mark H. Harris wrote:
> Since upgrading my machines to the suse 9.2 professional boxed set, all of
> the machines began taking 5 minutes to boot-up... hanging around for a very
> long time "creating devices" and "setting up kernel module dependencies (if
> required)".
>
> What is the system waiting for? What is the trick to get the boot-up
> process to fly by like before?

Usually such a wait during boot is due to something it wants from the
network... before the network is working. A DNS lookup, or a time sync
using NTP.

Next time it hangs.... besides looking very carefully at what the last
message was (which may or may not be helpful) try doing a CTL-C to kill a
process. If this lets it continue, look at the NEXT message that was
displayed. It may tell you what got killed and give you a clue.