Re: [SLE] long boot-up times
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:32:06 +0200
While bootup times on my system - AMD Sepmron 1.6 GHz + 1GB RAM are
not that slow - about 1 minute. It's still very slow compared to
Windows XP that boot at under 30 seconds.

Maybe we can accelerate that ? By optimizing the boot process -
perhaps by using initng ?

I have tried installing initng - and it was no go - it is not
compatible with SUSE - but since it's open-source one man can stand up
and make it compatible.
I can't do this because I understand poorly the init procedure. Also I
do not understand how init is correlated with inird (that is loaded
together with the kernel). I could NOT find any serious but easy to
read documentation about it.

Any volunteers to port initng to SUSE?
< Previous Next >