Re: [SLE] long boot-up times
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:17:28 +0200
There was a long discussion about that time ago. I think you see that
mainly because XP doesn't fully boot everything before it lets you log in.
Ie, you can log in and use it (somehow) before it fully boots.

Also, linux starts a lot of services, like for example, mail server, you
don't usually have in windows.

Why can't we do the same ? Start using SUSE before it fully boots and
have non-needed services disabled unless configured.

My solution is that I never halt, nor boot my system: I suspend to disk,
and awake it. Much faster.

This is known as "hibernate" in Windows XP. I don't like this feature.