Re: [SLE] long boot-up times
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:26:42 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2006-04-29 at 15:17 +0200, Alexey Eremenko wrote:

> > Also, linux starts a lot of services, like for example, mail server, you
> > don't usually have in windows.
> >

> Why can't we do the same ? Start using SUSE before it fully boots and
> have non-needed services disabled unless configured.

The first is not interesting (some things would not work if some service
wasn't up), and the second, services that do start have at least a usable
default configuration.

Linux is mostly designed to be running continuosly for days and months
without booting.

> > My solution is that I never halt, nor boot my system: I suspend to disk,
> > and awake it. Much faster.
> >

> This is known as "hibernate" in Windows XP. I don't like this feature.

I didn't like it in windows. I love it in linux. It simply works.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson