Re: [SLE] Firefox image messed up on some websites
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:32:44 -0400
On Saturday 29 April 2006 11:32, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
> I tried using Ctl-Alt-+ to cycle through the various screen resolutions.
> None of them changed the relative placement of the graphic elements.

In the first place, I never implied that cycling through various screen
resolutions would change the relative placement of graphic elements. That
would be absurd. It *does* change the relative *size* of graphics to the
screen and surrounding text, which is the effect I actually outlined in my

Secondly, your test is too simplistic. It completely ignores the impact of the
effect that I described.

* Is your desktop set to 72 dpi? 96 dpi? 120 dpi?
* Are you running at a 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio?
* Are you set to 16, 24 ("true") or 32 bit color?
* What are you running for default fonts? (typefaces *and* point sizes?)

Every page you view is *rendered* ... meaning the code is being interpreted
and the result displayed by *your* system... which is comprised of the user
agent (Lynx? Konqueror? Firefox? Opera?) and OS. Each of these combinations
may or may not be configured to display a specific page correctly. Once you
have a firm grasp on how these factors add up you are much less inclined to
level potentially baseless criticisms at a site developer.

The other side of the coin is that making pages "work" correctly on every
platform and in every user agent is a very high bar to meet. It takes a great
deal of advance planning and knowledge followed by a considerable amount of
cross-platform and cross-user-agent testing. Some {employers or customers} of
developers aren't willing to make that investment. They {the "paying
customer"} are happy as long as the site displays correctly in common
consumer Mac and Windows boxes. It really isn't fair to criticize them if
their site is targeted primarily to that audience. They are, after all,
paying for the site while you (and I) are choosing to explore the Internet
using software that still has a relatively small footprint in the desktop
market. When Linux dominates the desktop :-) you're likely to find many more
sites displaying without such breakage.

Carl

Carl

< Previous Next >