Re: [SLE] long boot-up times
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:22:31 -0700
On Saturday 29 April 2006 10:13 am, Ken Schneider wrote:

> > > SUSE Linux is first & foremost an open-source operating system.
> > > Therefore it must change to meet the new Home User's requirements.
> >
> > There is a huge amount of research going on in this area, it's not
> > something you can just do with one package, if it were that simple it
> > would have been done long ago. But people are working on it. 10.0 was a
> > great improvement to previous versions
>
> Why not just have KDM start sooner?

Not sure if that is the only thing. People (like me) tend to compare against
WinXP in terms of booting. There are a few tricks the MS folks do to get XP
to boot "faster" than it otherwise might.

I know there are the projects working on this - I think SUPER is the only one
- http://en.opensuse.org/SUPER#SUPER._SUSE_Performance_Enhanced_Release - but
I'd love to see these changes in the actual release.

I, too, boot my laptop at least once per day. Sometimes twice a day. I've had
issues with the suspend process where I lose the session - ever since 10.0 -
so I don't use it anymore.