Re: [SLE] long boot-up times
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 10:46:54 +0200
On Sunday 30 April 2006 02:26, James Knott wrote:
> kai wrote:

> >> Why not just have KDM start sooner?
> >
> > Not sure if that is the only thing. People (like me) tend to compare
> > against WinXP in terms of booting. There are a few tricks the MS folks do
> > to get XP to boot "faster" than it otherwise might.
>
> One thing they do, is give the appearance of booting faster, by
> displaying the desktop early. However, you can't do much, until well
> after the desktop appears.

Indeed. I like to have a /usable/ desktop when it appears.

IMHO the best thing one can do for now (apart from
tweaking /etc/sysconfig/boot) to cut off some time from the boot process is
to fire up 'yast runlevel' and disable those services you don't need.
Carefull though, do not disable e.g. kbd. ;)

Cheers,

Leen