How to read and rewrite DV files from camcorder?
  • From: "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:36:45 +0200
Greetings,

I have several DV tapes, both mine and borrowed from relatives. Many
are only partly full, or I only want to save part of their content. I
would like to "consolidate" all the video in the original DV format as
is on tape on the smallest possible number of tapes.

In that way I would have all the "source" and could start editing them
in a second moment, always keeping the master DV video available.

I have a JVC camcorder which works with SUSE 10 (I've already loaded
movies in kino from it) via IEEE1394.

What I want to do is:

1) copy all the raw video, without any transcoding, from camcorder to
hard disk

2) when disk is full, copy all raw video from disk to empty tape in
the camcorder

repeat 1-2 until I've copied all the tapes.

Is it possible to do this from suse? The ideal solution would be
something semiautomatic, which stops saving to disk when there is no
more video in the tape in the camcorder, but any solution is OK.

TIA,
Marco

--
Marco Fioretti mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 5 for low memory http://www.rule-project.org/

With the right to be informed goes the duty to seek information.
Information does not simply occur; it has to be sought.
PASTORAL INSTRUCTION "COMMUNIO ET PROGRESSIO"

  • No further messages