Re: [SLE] long boot-up times
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:49:29 +0200
On Sunday 30 April 2006 20:34, kai wrote:
> On Sunday 30 April 2006 01:46 am, Leendert Meyer wrote:

> > > One thing they do, is give the appearance of booting faster, by
> > > displaying the desktop early. However, you can't do much, until well
> > > after the desktop appears.
> >
> > Indeed. I like to have a /usable/ desktop when it appears.
> >
> > IMHO the best thing one can do for now (apart from
> > tweaking /etc/sysconfig/boot) to cut off some time from the boot process
> > is to fire up 'yast runlevel' and disable those services you don't need.
> > Carefull though, do not disable e.g. kbd. ;)
>
> Yeah, I put up with a bit longer time because I run MySQL, Apache, Postfix,
> Tomcat and a few other things on my laptop. This is - after all -a
> development "server." :)

That's only a subset of my 'all-purpose'-PC. ;)

BTW, I forgot to mention filesystems: only the filesystems that are really
needed should be mounted by default in fstab. I have several filesystems
mounted by default, which takes time. I don't care too much, since I
discovered like Carl that Suspend to Disk works.

Cheers,

Leen

< Previous Next >