Re: [SLE] Re: ordering 10.1 is not going to be easy, apparently ( more)
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:24:59 +0100
On 30/04/06, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx> [04-30-06 02:15]:
>
>> And I live in Australia (Canberra, the Capital).
>>

> Is the Alice still 1000 miles from anywhere? Was there in the early
> '60s for a couple of years.

Everything here is "1000 miles from anywhere" :-) which is why this
American-created petrol price hike is causing a bit of problem here (or
at least will be causing a severe problem very shortly when people
really wake up to the price increase).

Having said this, things have changed somewhat since the 60's and all
cities have seemingly got a bit closer because we now drive cars and
even have trains and aeroplanes. Most of the main roads have also been
tarred. You wouldn't recognise (note the '-ise') the place now.

Cheers.

--

It's all very sprawling still though :-) I was in Adelaide in
2000/2001 and it took me all day to walk from one end of the city to

If you really need to get anywhere distant in Oz you need to go by
plane or the Ghan. The one thing I didn't do was visit Uluru and
Alice. I really wish I had just for the experience. Sadly I shall
never be able to get back now. I will say that I found the Australian
people fantastically friendly. I truly loved my time over there.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire