strange permissions mounting USB NTFS drive
  • From: "Arnie Sherman" <arnie.sherman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:23:53 -0600
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the list. I installed SuSE 10.0 about a week ago. First of all I
just want to say how much I like this distro so far. I've mostly used
Slackware and Caldera in the past. It's been about 2 years since I've done
an install and I'm really impressed with how far things have come along.
YsSt is a nice config tool. Made it really easy to get networking, sound,
and even printing set up (my Alps printer has always been a problem for
Linux in the past, no trouble at all now).

I do have one strange trouble though, which I have not been able to figure
out. This machine is dual boot. I have 3 hard drives. One IDE drive is
Windows 2k, formatted NTFS. One IDE drive is Linux. One USB drive is NTFS,
and has music files and such on it. In windows the permissions for both NTFS
file systems are set to EVERYONE:Full Control.

I mount the two NTFS drives with similar fstab entries:
/dev/hda1 /windows/C ntfs
ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
/dev/sda1 /windows/D ntfs
ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0

For some reason the IDE drive is accessible from my user account, but the
USB drive is only accessible from the root account. It seems to me they
should mount with the same permissions and ownership, but instead I see
this:

dr-xr-xr-x 1 root users 8192 2006-04-29 22:07 C
dr-x------ 1 root root 12288 2006-04-29 22:07 D

The strange thing is if I unmount /windows/D the permissions return to what
I'd expect:
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root users 48 2006-04-25 23:23 D

When I re-mount the file system it returns to:
dr-x------ 1 root root 12288 2006-04-29 22:07 D

Notice that both permissions and group change?

I can access the drive as root, so I know the file system is actually
mounting, just with the wrong permissions.

I'm out of ideas as to how to fix this. Any thoughts what's going on here?

Thanks,
--
arnie sherman
  • No further messages