Re: [opensuse] Giving up on Nvidia fx5500 - what other pci vid card has good drivers?
  • From: David Wright <david.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:35:47 +0200
Am Freitag, 28. April 2006 22:34 schrieb M.Blackmore:
> I've given up on trying to make a nvidia fx5500 work with Suse 10.0,
> can't even get it to complete installation using the graphics installer,
> and can't get it to start X even when using fx86config to try and set up
> a basic.
>
> What other video card chipset has a good driver support with suse? There
> was an ATI Radeon something there, but I recall ATI has had a reputation
> for poor support. Has this improved? (My wife dropped by the shop on a
> trip into town but can't remember the exact model).
>
> Almost all that seem to be in the local shop are using that super pci
> wotsit, but I'm about 3yrs out of date with my motherboard and haven't
> been keeping up with developments (so can't even remember the name of
> the new slot standard...)

I have on my machines here:
nVidia GeForce Ti4600 - no problems, automatically recognised, automatically
set-up and automatic download of nVidia drivers through YOU
nVidia GeForce FX5700LE - no problems, automatically recognised, automatically
set-up and automatic download of nVidia drivers through YOU
nVidia GeForce FX5900XT - no problems, automatically recognised, automatically
set-up and automatic download of nVidia drivers through YOU
nVidia GeForce FX6600GT - no problems, automatically recognised, automatically
set-up and automatic download of nVidia drivers through YOU
SiS laptop chipset circa 2000 - no problems, automatically recognised,
automatically set-up.

ATi Mobility X700 - automatically recognised, doesn't set-up to a usable
configuration, must download and install ATi drivers before any graphics
environment can be used, need to manually re-install display driver after
Kernel updates, no 3D support, a total PITA... Thinking of throwing away a
perfectly good laptop and replacing it with either a nVidia based laptop or a
MacBook Pro...

--
"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing