Re: [opensuse] openSUSE @ Google Summer of Code 2006
  • From: Richard Bos <radoeka@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:20:06 +0200
Op vrijdag 28 april 2006 10:43, schreef Christoph Thiel:
> > We are now looking for ideas, proposals, projects, etc. around openSUSE
> > and SUSE Linux, that could be worked on in Google Summer of Code. As the
> > period of application for SoC is already very short, we need to get our
> > proposals for project online May 1st, 2006, at the latest.
> >
> > So, for example, if you are missing a certain YaST module, or a special
> > feature in the distribution, speak up now!
>
> I know quite some people are using the SMART Package Manager these days:
> So, I'm going to propose some extensions to SMART to handle the new
> rpm-md+ based update channels for SUSE Linux, including deltarpm support,
> etc. Maybe a QT GUI for SMART would be a nice feature as well, eh? Is
> there anything else that you are missing in SMART that could be addressed
> by a SoC project?

What about a repodata enabled _repository_ I really mean repository and not a
bunch of directories scattered around a server, like it is now. Have a look at my
apt (repodata enabled) sources.list file:

repomd ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/kolab suse-10.1
repomd ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/ suse
repomd ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/suse/update 10.1
repomd ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/suse/install/10.1/SUSE-Linux10.1-RC2-Extra suse
repomd ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/apt4rpm rpmkeys

It's a big mess. It's not the apt way of doing with all components in 1 place, like e.g:
rpm ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/ SuSE/10.1-i386 packman usr-local-bin

When will there be a centralized package repository for suse (including 3rd party
contributred packages). The repository should provide a list of all packages and files
in the repository (including on the not subscribed channels/components).

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless

< Previous Next >