Re: [opensuse] Giving up on Nvidia fx5500 - what other pci vid card has good drivers?
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:52:56 -0400
On Saturday 29 April 2006 02:01, Clayton wrote:
> > I've given up on trying to make a nvidia fx5500 work with Suse
> > 10.0, can't even get it to complete installation using the graphics
> > installer, and can't get it to start X even when using fx86config
> > to try and set up a basic.
> >
> > What other video card chipset has a good driver support with suse?
> > There was an ATI Radeon something there, but I recall ATI has had a
> > reputation for poor support. Has this improved? (My wife dropped by
> > the shop on a trip into town but can't remember the exact model).
>
> Well... from long experience with SUSE and nVidia and ATI video
> cards, I'll never willing use an ATI card. They are a total
> nightmare. I'd highly recommend nVidia again despite your problems.
> I've had a 5200FX working very nicely in SUSE for several years, and
> have recently and very painlessly upgraded to an nVidia 6600GT.
>
> I've also recently had an ATI9250, and while I was able to get it to
> work, it never worked properly.
>
> If you need soem help setting up your existing nVidia card, just
> ask... there's loads of us on the list here that use nVidia and are
> very pleased with the results... and with how easy it usualy is to
> set up.
>
> C.

And my experience has been just the opposite Clayton. The NVidia cards
have been a nightmare for me, but I've yet to have a burp with any of
the ATI cards I've used, installed or recommended. Even using the ATI
drivers now have become quite simple to install and setup, although
since most of the cards are supported natively in X.org, it's very
seldom you need to use their drivers, unlike nVidia, to get 3d. I
doubt there has been a single nVidia card user or very few that hasn't
had to get help on the suse-e list.

But still no matter what we've experienced, the OP will have to make up
his own mind as to what he wants to try. No matter what the user
decides, it will always be a hit or miss thing, you just hope for the
best sometimes.

Regards,
Lee