Soc@2006: User Restrictions (not Child Protection).
  • From: "Peter Flodin" <pflodin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:05:21 +1000
I have a proposal that we don't call this feature Child Protection, or
Parental Control or anything similar.

In addition to filtering (I would only use whitelisting) what I would
like to see is an easy way to configure restrictions for users.

I will give a personal example. I have a several computers, one of
which is in a central location visible from our kitchen and eating
area, and is often used by my 4 year old daughter.

I'm quite proud of the fact that she can logon (with username and
password) and run Gcompris and Tux Paint, all by herself, (she can't
read or write). She is allowed to use this computer whenever she
wants, just like she allowed to get pens and paper out and do
drawings.

Now this computer has connection to the internet, and at the moment I
am just relying on her lack of knowledge to get on the internet.

In a Microsoft Windows domain there is something called Global Policy,
which means on a per user and per machine, I could lock down all sort
of settings. eg I could hide control panels, Internet Explorer,
ability to get to a command line, various system rights etc by just
checking boxes. And it would apply to my selection of users and/or
computers in the network.

I am well aware that many of these restriction can be setup in Linux,
but there is no central tool (that I am aware of) that I can use to do
this. eg define these group of settings, restrictions, application
settings and apply them to these Users.

Peter "Pflodo" Flodin