Re: [opensuse] Giving up on Nvidia fx5500 - what other pci vid card has good drivers?
  • From: "M.Blackmore" <mblackmore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:23:15 +0100
On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 17:02 -0400, Carl Hartung wrote:

> First, you've omitted most of the details that might help other subscribers
> understand and help with your problem (mainboard make/model, retail or OSS,
> etc.?)
I've tried everything over many months with this system - including tips
from earlier threads months ago, as pthers have also reported
difficulties with fx5500 and 5200 chipsets

Being on a limited income due to disability now, I can't afford to make
a wrong choice again, hence request for guidance to a card with reliable
drivers!

I got it working once, not sure how - I was floundering around poking
into anything by that time of night after many attempts over a few
weeks. Then disk died so had to reinstall and total lack of success
since. So I didn't bother anyone with details - just said I give up. It
ain't gonna work.
> Second, this list (opensuse) deals with future releases (factory,
> betas and release candidates,) whereas suse-linux-e (SLE) is the appropriate
> list for problems with released versions (i.e. 10.0, 9.3, 9.2...)

Oh my time has run on, this was the release/beta when I started on
building up a new system.. yikes

> Have you seen these instructions?:
>
> http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO.html

Oh yes, indeedy. Yup. And err...