Re: [opensuse] openSUSE @ Google Summer of Code 2006
  • From: Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:29:46 +0200
On Friday 28 April 2006 14:21, houghi wrote:
> If there is such a list, just use it as an add on to the proxy server.
> That said, blacklisting won't work. If you want to protect your children
> from seeing things you do not want them to see there is only one thing:
> Guidence.

we are not talking only about protecting children from seeing things, we are
talkign about protection in general

spam, fraud, innapropiate (user context), pishing, stupid lawsuits

Nobody is going to refute good guidance is better than a filter in terms of
adult content / children, but for a school you are not going to do massive
children guidance for 1.000 kids that have different home education, you just
want to lower the risk of innapropiate content being displayed during working
times, and reduce virus, spam, frauds.

Not only for children, people clicking on pishing sites for example is just
people that is not informed about the problem, high-tech education.

But a nice module to handle all this in a central place will for sure be
useful for schools, home users, little mail servers that get flooded with
spamming injecting probes. It will not solve the root of the problem, but it
will reduce the risk, and at the same time, is a good way to put linux
security on the hands of normal users, lot of alternative operating system
(planned for somewhere in 2007) look to do the same.

Duncan