Re: [opensuse] openSUSE @ Google Summer of Code 2006
  • From: Ciaran Farrell <cfarrell@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:57:46 +0200
Am Freitag, 28. April 2006 13:47 schrieb Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett:
> Here the challenge is:
>
> - to group them by category
> - to apply them in the right place. For exaple p2p blacklists are text
> files and should be applied to the firewall, while spam blacklists are dns
> based and should be added to postfix.
>
> Perhap a simple architecture could be designed to update the avilable known
> blacklists. But in any case I think we should implement a new blacklist
> architecture for the internet.

Edubuntu is aimed at schools etc. Does anyone know if they have a feature like
this? Apropos those who think the idea of a child filter is not worth
spending any effort on, since this morning I was in contact with two school
directors about installing SUSE on school networks. With one, the very first
question was about keeping the Internet safe in school - with the other it
was the third question. While the idea of 'censoring' might seem absurd to
developers, schools take this very seriously and I am sure parents do too.
I've seen how some schools see how filters don't always work and instead the
implement whitelists.

Duncan is right - there is no need to re-invent the wheel, but rather create a
frontend to give parents and schools the _choice_ to implement the features.

Ciaran