Re: [opensuse] openSUSE @ Google Summer of Code 2006
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:13:19 +0200
Ciaran Farrell wrote:

> I'm sure some children may laugh at the implementation of such features, but
> it is also worthwhile to look at the necessity of such features as a whole.

I have seen many systems built to forgive access to given
sites. I have seen none run as it should. usually this is
like anti-piracy measures, this give problems only to honest
people.

On my school many sites are filtered (I don't know how) and
this gives me problem more than it should, forgiving the
access to usefull sites, when as soon as I turn back I see
porn screens on my students computers.

usually yougers childs don"t care about such sites (they
simply don't understand) and others know how to get around.

don't forget there are friends, not so well hiden parents
code and so on. I remember the content of a "math" VHS tape
my son forget in the VHS reader :-((

> The concept of keeping the Internet safe for children and thus integrating
> the Internet into the learning experience for children is certainly
> important. It is almost certainly _more_ important for teachers and parents
> and indeed anyone trusted with the guidance and upbringing of children to
> invest time in actually helping these children understand the dangers of the
> Internet, rather than simply sheltering them from such dangers.

absolutely true

On the other
> hand, I am fairly sure that no school network administrator would argue that
> subjective technical ability to disable filters is an argument for not
> implementing the filters in the first place.

false security is worst than no security at all.

understand me: it should be a good thing if children could
be protected, but protection against TV infos should me
better than from the net.

the greated danger is on the road between the house and the
school :-((

I'm not opposed to a yast children safety module if it
proves it works... (Linux in itself is good as protecting
children)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net