Re: [opensuse] openSUSE @ Google Summer of Code 2006
  • From: Ciaran Farrell <cfarrell@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:04:31 +0200
Am Freitag, 28. April 2006 10:28 schrieb jdd:
> Ciaran Farrell wrote:
> > I'm not sure how easy or difficult this is, but how about a YaST module
> > (either a new one, or integrated into firewall etc) to help people
> > (parents, schools etc) set up child filters for internet browsing and
> > e-mail. I'm told that this currently involves quite a bit of fooling
> > around with squid-proxy and postfix, which makes it (and consequently
> > SUSE) unattractive for at least one market segment
>
> being a teacher, I have a look at such systems for a long
> time now and what I can say is childs laugh at that.

I'm sure some children may laugh at the implementation of such features, but
it is also worthwhile to look at the necessity of such features as a whole.
The concept of keeping the Internet safe for children and thus integrating
the Internet into the learning experience for children is certainly
important. It is almost certainly _more_ important for teachers and parents
and indeed anyone trusted with the guidance and upbringing of children to
invest time in actually helping these children understand the dangers of the
Internet, rather than simply sheltering them from such dangers. On the other
hand, I am fairly sure that no school network administrator would argue that
subjective technical ability to disable filters is an argument for not
implementing the filters in the first place.

Ciaran