SPAM: OT: save net neutrality *please*
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:20:20 -0400
I apologize for cross-posting to SLE and OT but this matter is of grave
importance to the future of the Internet. The time to take direct, specific
and personal action is *now*. Please don't put this off. Here is what needs
to be done:

* If you're in the U.S. call *and* write your elected representatives to
complain.

* If you're outside the U.S., forward this to every contact you have in the
U.S. and ask them to call and write, per the above, and to forward this to
their own contacts in the U.S.

Again, please accept my sincere apologies in advance for this OT cross-post.

Carl

Yesterday afternoon, a House committee caved to the narrow
interests of telecom companies and voted to strip Net Neutrality
from a bill moving through Congress.

Network Neutrality is the Internet's First Amendment -- without
it companies like AT&T, Verizon and Comcast will move to control
what you do, where you go, and what you watch online.

The vote was an outrage, but the fight for Internet freedom is
far from over. More important votes are coming in Congress --
and we have the momentum.

You are one of more than 250,000 people who wrote and called
Congress in the past five days. Because you raised public
awareness of this threat to Internet freedom, no member of
Congress can in good conscience vote with the telecom cartel.

Politicians take action when they realize the public is paying
attention. Yesterday's vote was much closer than predicted. Call
your members of Congress to let them know that no bill should
become law without meaningful protections for Network
Neutrality.

Tell them that the public is now watching this issue, and we
will not stand for any law that threatens Internet freedom.
Network Neutrality must be protected by Congress.

We have ignited a prairie fire of protest. In less than one
week, our SavetheInternet.com Coalition has lit up the phones in
Congress. We've rallied more than 600 blogs to write about this
issue. We've formed a diverse, bipartisan coalition of more than
75 organizations banding together to fight for a free and open
Internet.

Congress needs to hear from you right away. Please call and send
a letter to your elected representatives. And don't forget to
spread the word to your friends, colleagues and family:

http://action.freepress.net/campaign/savethenet/i7w8g3x2qjn3nkt?";

The battle has just begun, We've already proven that people can
make a difference by simply speaking out. Now, let's win.

Onward,

Timothy Karr
Campaign Director
Free Press
http://action.freepress.net/ct/17MGYrd1pqRM/

P.S. Stay up to date on breaking developments. Visit:
http://action.freepress.net/ct/11MGYrd1pqR_/

You can take action on this alert via the web at:
http://action.freepress.net/campaign/savethenet/

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
http://action.freepress.net/campaign/savethenet/forward/

We encourage you to take action *today*.

Don't Let Congress Ruin the Internet

INSTRUCTIONS TO RESPOND VIA THE WEB:
If you have access to a web browser, you can take action on this
alert by going to the following URL:

http://action.freepress.net/campaign/savethenet/

Your letter will be addressed and sent to:
Your Congressperson
Your Senators

----THIS LETTER WILL BE SENT IN YOUR NAME----
Dear [decision maker name automatically inserted here],

Congress must preserve a free and open Internet. Please vote for
enforceable network neutrality and keep tollbooths, gatekeepers,
and discrimination off my Internet.

Please act immediately to save the Internet.

----END OF LETTER TO BE SENT----